Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Does Anyone Actually Throw Them?

I have to confess something. I have a slight, but incurable, pillow fetish. If I count the number of pillows that are out and visible in my home, I get to 40 without even thinking very hard. To actually go and count them might force me to consider that I have a real problem.

But is there anything that can instantly update a room better than a great pillow? I've always kept my sofas neutral so I can change out the accent pillows on a whim. They can quite literally set the tone for a space. And while most people might bristle at having a whole sofa covered in expensive designer fabric, or be unable to justify the expense of doing window treatments in a print that retails for $200 a yard, pillows are a relatively inexpensive way to add luxury and detail to a room.

Some of my favorites right now:


These are in the gorgeous "Bengal Bazaar" fabric by Kelly Wearstler


Z Gallerie's Bukhara pillow (the white is much warmer in person than it appears on screen)


Wonderful faux bois pillow by Clayton Gray



I love how Eastern Accents combines different patterns and trim.

Another one from Easter Accents. Gorgeous geometric border, simple and elegant.



There are a number of great sources for pillows online.  One Kings Lane is a perennial favorite. (If you aren't a member there, go join. NOW.) Gilt is another good one that has new sales daily. Etsy has an almost overwhelming selection of pillows. It's a great way to get pillows in to-the-trade fabrics that might otherwise be out of reach, and many sellers there will do custom jobs. (I recently ordered an Imperial Trellis pillow to match the drapes in my study from Etsy)

And let's not forget one of my favorites...eBay! I don't think many people consider eBay for such a purchase, but a search of any designer fabric maker will turn up dozens of pillows for sale at any given time. Look at these great ones I found searching eBay recently:

A seller was offering this pair of Scalamandre pillows (they are actually navy and ivory, not black as they appear in this photo) for $99!

This Brunschig and Fils bolster was only $49.

This pair of gorgeous Lee Jofa pillows were available for just over $100.



A beautifully made Schumacher pillow.

And of course a person with even novice sewing ability can put together a pillow--meaning odd bits of designer fabric can be snatched up for little of nothing and turned into a real treasure. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice. Throw one in that chair! We throw our pillows....from one sofa to the next!
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny you should mention chair...a new pillow for the chair in my study just came in yesterday..hehe, I guess that puts me at 41 or so.

    ReplyDelete