Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Art of Dale Chihuly

You've heard of Dale Chihuly, no doubt. His glass sculptures are world-renowned and his name is known even to people with only a passing interest in art. I won't spend time here talking about the man himself...others before me have done that much better than I could.

You owe it to yourself to see Chihuly's work in person if you ever get a chance. Photos simply don't do the work justice. Even the best photo loses the texture, the intricacy, the play of light. I've seen the Chihuly chandelier installed at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas, and a small exhibit in Peoria, Illinois. But a friend of mine recently saw a much larger installation at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and captured some wonderful images I wanted to share. Enjoy!











Join us on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine that lives in Seattle posted photos on FB today of a visit to the Chihuly Glass Museum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen any of his work in person? I admit...I'd seen photos and thought "Nice..but whats the big deal?" It's on my bucket list to have a piece of his...but WOW a paperweight is as much as a new Hyundai. (Exaggerating but not by much.)

    ReplyDelete