Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Ubiquitous Red Dining Room

Particularly here in the south, red is the default color for formal dining rooms. As surely as a little girl's room is pink and a little boy is saddled with blue, when all else fails, the dining room is red. So prolific is the red dining room, that it isn't unusual to walk into a spec-built house and find that the only room that the builder hasn't painted Navajo white is the dining room. Because it is so common (and, because I once tried to paint the fireplace wall of my former townhouse red, and after five coats, it still looked like a bad faux-finish) I've never considered doing a red dining room. But taking a look at these red dining rooms has me reconsidering:

Red trim and doors play off the chinoiserie wallpaper in this dramatic dining room. Love the chairs!


Definitely not your grandmother's red dining room, a crisp modern take.


Deep red paint over traditional paneling is a handsome backdrop for this gorgeous Baker furniture.

Love the contemporary chandelier in this red dining room.
(Metropolitan Home)

Glossy red walls and dark trim make for a dramatic space. Love the mix of art here.

Bright red and crisp white combine for a fresh dining space.

Very traditional red dining room, but the upholstery on the chairs provides an updated and unexpected touch.

Who says you can only use chairs to seat guests? In this glossy red space, the table is pulled up to a comfortable sofa.

Great mix of patterns on the upholstery and wallpaper keep this red dining space from looking too heavy.

Join Us On Facebook!

4 comments:

  1. Red is my favorite color, these rooms are fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy you're certainly welcome! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm telling you. We're hunting for houses right now, and just about every single home has a red dining room. It's almost comical. There's a blog out there -- or there should be! -- called "The Red Dining Room", that should chronicle the journey to find a new home.

    Great pics, though. I'd NEVER do a red dining room after this, just because I now see how prolific they are -- but your last picture made me reconsider that touch of red! Love the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! I used to want a red dining room but two things changed my mind: how many there already were, and a horrible experience I had painting a red wall in one of my first post-college apartments.

      Delete